Oh, how I love book mail, when those lovely, bright shiny covered books arrive and I smell them for the first time, ah! Come on, is there anything better? And the thrill of breaking a new spine of a new story, and even better, a new author. Well, I have quite a few new authors coming up, thanks to Jo over at the Blue Mood Cafe for some of these suggestions.
In this week’s haul:
- TWO GIRLS DOWN by Louisa Luna (Crime)
- AMBUSH by Barbara Nickless (Crime)
- A MERCIFUL PROMISE by Kendra Elliot (Crime)
- WE LIE WITH DEATH by Devin Madson (Fantasy)
- HALL OF SMOKE by H.M. Long (Myth/Fantasy)
- COLONYSIDE by Michael Mammay (SF)
And, of course, I just finished reading DEAD LAND by Sara Paretsky, which arrived way ahead of all the other books I ordered at the same time. Not that I’m complaining, but sometimes I wonder how my online book retailer makes any money trying to keep up with the Big A by offering free shipping and then, sending my order one book at a time.
I cannot finish without saying a really BIG thank you to Hannah Long for the signed copy of HALL OF SMOKE, a Norse-inspired fantasy that sounds like a fantastic and wild ride. And, of course, I can’t wait to read all of these.
This week our topic for discussion set by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl is, Books I Read Because Someone Recommended Them To Me … which in and of itself, might be a left over from last week’s challenge, Long Titles!
While I’ve read a couple of books recently that were, in a way, recommended to me by people on twitter—I have also read at least 3 or 4 books that someone has recommended to me via the comments after reading a really positive review. Those have turned out to be some of the best reads as well. Because, by then, you have at least read their review and already know what you’re letting yourself in for.
My thanks to Jake from over at Jake is Reading, Ollie at Infinite Speculations, and Jo from Blue Mood Cafe, for providing me with lots of inspiration and some really great suggestions these last few months.
On the list are:
- THE PHLEBOTOMIST (SF) — by Chris Panatier
- CAPTAIN MOXLEY AND THE EMBERS OF EMPIRE (Fantasy) — by Dan Hanks
- VELOCITY WEAPON (SF) — by Megan O’Keefe
- WE RIDE THE STORM (Fantasy) — by Devin Madson
- BLOOD ON THE TRACKS (Crime) — by Barbara Nickless
- OVERKILL (Crime) — by Vanda Symon
- IN THE DARK SPACES (SF) — Cally Black
- THE LAST SMILE IN SUNDER CITY (Fantasy) — by Luke Arnold
- RACE THE SANDS (Fantasy) — by Sarah Beth Durst
- THE SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB’S GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES (Horror) — by Grady Hendrix (on the TBR)
So, there you have my list. What about you, have you had any really good recommendations lately and if so, what where they?