I’ve been listing on the couch for over a week due to a bad throat and, being unable to swallow, have eaten a lot of soup these last few days. Yesterday it was one of my all time favourites, tomato.
So here today for your eating pleasure is the recipe.
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and quartered
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups stock (veg or chicken)
- 1 tsp white sugar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400, gas mark 6. Arrange the veg on a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle minced garlic and balsamic vinegar over the chopped veg.
- Cook the veg in the oven for 30-35 minutes till slightly charred.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and tomato paste over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, add oregano and roasted veg, stock, bay leaves, sugar and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Let stand for 3-4 minutes, remove bay leaves before blending with a hand-blender till smooth.
- Serve with warm bread.